In collaboration with:
The word brachycephalus comes from Latin, where “brachy” means short and “cephalus” means head. They are animals that have a flat or short snout and a wide head.
There are dog breeds and also other classifications to differentiate them. An example is the cephalic index; or the proportion between the width and length of the skull. According to this index we can differentiate:
- Brachycephalic dog breeds: their skull is flat and their snout is short.
- Dolichocephalic dog breeds: these breeds are more specialized in running and have an elongated and narrow skull, like greyhounds.
- Mesocephalic dog breeds are in between the two previous categories. Their skull is neither elongated nor flat. For example, the German Shepherd
Brachycephalic breeds, having special physical characteristics, such as the shape of their skulls and short snouts, are prone to breathing difficulties at high altitudes, Brachiocephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome (BOAS). They are also sensitive to high temperatures and can suffer from heat stroke and stress episodes when the temperature is high.
Most airlines allow brachycephalic dogs to travel in the cabin, as long as they meet the following requirements: they must not exceed 8 kg in weight and must be in a carrier with standard measurements, and their health card must be in order.
To find out if your pet belongs to this category, the following are the characteristics of this category of pets:
- Narrowness of the nasal orifices (Stenotic nares).
- Cornets with exuberant mucous nasal folds.
- Elongation of the soft palate.
- Large tongue (Macroglossia).
- Alterations in the larynx by irritation with or without eversion of laryngeal saccule.
- Tracheal hypoplasia.
Classification of brachycephalic dogs:
Classification of brachycephalic cats:
Care comes first and brachycephalic breeds require special treatment. At Woof Airlines we have enough experience to manage the best health care for them. We have been working for years specializing in these particular cases to achieve a successful transfer while maintaining the utmost care for these special breeds.
Contact our team of analysts who will study your case and offer you a quote in less than 48 hours.