Calculating Correct Pet Carrier Sizes
This is a guideline for determining the correct size for a travel container. This relates to an animal standing in a natural position. They must be able to stand, with its head completely straight, without touching the roof of the container. It should also be able to turn around and lay down comfortably.
The calculated dimensions are internal container dimensions.
= length of animal from tip of nose to base/root of tail.
= height from ground to elbow joint. A+1⁄2 B = length of container.
= width across shoulders or widest point (whichever is the greater). Cx2 = width of container.
= height of animal in natural standing position from top of the head or the ear tip to the floor (whichever is higher) / height of the container (top flat or arched)
Minimum internal container dimensions:
+ ½ = Length x 2 + Width = Heigh
Requirements for the travel container
- The container must be made of hard plastic or fibreglass.
- The container must not have wheels. They must be removed, or if not removable, be retracted and taped securely in place.
- The door must have a central locking mechanism that locks in at least 2 places: at the top and at the bottom of the door. (a)
- The door hinges have to extend beyond the horizontal extrusions located above and below the door by 1.6 cm / 5/8 in. (b)
- The 2 halves of the container must be fastened together by nut and bolt assemblies. All other closing/locking methods are strictly prohibited. (c)
- The container must contain separate food and water dishes, secured to the door or floor and refillable without opening the cage.
- The bottom of the container may be covered with absorbent material, such as a blanket, newspaper, etc. Straw is prohibited.
- The animal must not be wearing a lead or a muzzle while travelling. These items must be carried separately.
- The animal must appear healthy and not show any signs of physical weakness or injury.
- The animal should not have taken tranquilizers or any other non-prescription medicine.
We recommend the following kennels available at Amazon.com
If you need any advise regarding kennels for your pet don’t hesitate to